Monday, June 11, 2007

We need more money...again

I'm not one to gripe about people griping about money problems - I have my own and I live in Michigan (egg, chicken?). But this is getting tedious, to say the least, especially with the hoops I've had to jump through in order to just get back into school - nevermind the pile of flaming shit they call an education.

The South End, the student paper at Wayne State University, chimes in with the madness and mayhem that will invariable ensue when the cashless Michigan government* makes cuts to higher education. Whether or not those are actual cuts or merely trimming the increases, I don't know, I haven't looked. But I can guess.

The Dearborn campus of the University of Michigan, on the other hand, has found a remarkable way of spending money: $25,000 for foot baths. Some people want to call this an Islamification or some such. I'll just call it absurd, cognitive dissonance, creative accounting, or fucking lame. If I miss rent, I don't go out and buy a television - or anything else for that matter. The state is piss poor so UMD builds foot baths and then proceeds to demand more money.

How's this: Cut off all state aid - if nothing else, it will get rid of the headache of applying for student aid. But get rid of it. All of it. Every shape, manner, and form it comes in. Cut the gluttons off, and send them to rehab. Then watch university attendance decline - you know, the buyers of a college education. Then watch university administrations scramble for some way, any way to keep their cushy little jobs - you know, the sellers of a college education. Nifty little crash course in basic economics for the apparently uneducated educators - you can't sell if you have no customers. A surefire way to drastically bring down the cost of higher education.

On a side note, I feel I need a state-sponsored Rosary so I too can feel accommodated as it's a fairly significant aspect of my religion.

*By cashless I mean an $803 million budget deficit.

No comments: